It is quite easy to allow the grocery bill to get out of hand.
You head out to the local store with the intention of spending about £50 on your weekly groceries and the next thing you know, the cart is filled and you check out with a £300 bill!
How can you avoid wasting money at the grocery store so you do not fall behind on your other bills?
We have a complied a list below, which, hopefully you will find useful before out on your next shopping trip.
- Make a List – take the time to plan the meals you will make all week long. Look at each meal and figure out exactly what is needed. Generate a shopping list and do not deviate from it while you are at the store. It is a proven fact that when people go shopping without a list, their eyes dictate what goes into the cart, not their mind. Avoid this trap, bring a list!
- Buy Store Brands – many store brand items are the same as name brands. Many people do not realize that these major brands actually supply the stores with their no-name products. If you know someone in the business, take the time to chat with them and find out who makes what for their store brands. If not, do some research online. The result, you will end up with the same product at a fraction of the cost.
- Use Sales to Your Advantage – households can save a lot of money by stocking up on non-perishable items when they go on sale. Obviously, you do not want to become a hoarder, but buying in bulk definitely has its advantages. If you have the room to store the product, buy what you can when the best price is offered. In addition, you can shop at wholesale warehouse stores that always offer discounts for bulk purchases.
- Become a Label Reader – there are times when the larger item looks like a great deal, but is it really cheaper when you look at the overall volume? Figure out the products in a cost per liter and then buy whatever size is more cost effective.
- Coupons – do not be afraid to clip coupons. Some people will end cutting 25 percent of their bill off by merely handing in coupons at the register. Find any local publication offering coupons and clip anything and everything you use. At worst, you throw them away unused. At best, you save a lot of money!
- Do NOT Go To the Store Hungry! – this is just as bad as going without a list. If you walk into a grocery store with a stomach that is begging for food, you are just asking for trouble. Every time you pass one of your favorite foods, it will probably go right into the cart. Worse, you get home, you pile through all of these items, and half of the food from the shopping trip is gone before you ever even have a chance to get it up on the shelves! Do yourself a favor, grab a bite to eat, THEN go to the store.
How to save money at the supermarket video: From US perspective but still offers some great tips.